Application / Software Engineer
Wellington, New Zealand
This is a new full time role in a rapidly growing fintech business operating in the global remittance market-a market worth over $600 billion annually.
We are looking for engineers to join our expanding team in our central Wellington office. You will have solid experience in developing RESTful APIs and interfaces for high performing and reliable systems. You will help build new features, products and APIs for our platform and contribute towards continuously improving our current stack to help scale and support our growing customer base.
We’re still a small company which means you will need to wear many hats in the beginning but it also means there are many interesting challenges ahead and areas that you can specialise in if you like.
We have a flat structure which means you will work directly with everyone across the company, from customer support to compliance, product, finance. As a result, you will gain real insight into the business of international money transfer. We encourage an open and transparent working environment. You can get involved in any aspect of the business you are interested in if it adds value to our company and our users.
What you will work on
- Work with the engineering team to create new features, products and API’s that are maintainable, efficient, reliable and secure.
- Contribute and develop to our existing products (external and internal) across the full stack of the OrbitRemit Platform, including our internal REST APIs.
- Proactively finding and exploring better ways to improve the OrbitRemit platform to ensure it can scale to high customer demand, is efficient and always available.
- Give input and collaborate with internal teams on how to improve our products and processes.
What you would need to know
- Expert understanding and proven knowledge of PHP.
- Experience working with microservice architectures.
- Expert at the creation and consumption of REST APIs, you can explain all the do’s and don'ts of designing REST APIs.
- Experience working with No/SQL databases, query optimisations and designing schemas.
- Experience with MVC frameworks such as CakePHP, Lumen or Laravel.
- Expert at problem solving with ability to work independently and plan your own solutions to problems.
- Proven track record of building high performing and reliable code.
- Create performant, clean and well documented code.
- Passionate about technology, product and user experience.
- Strong communication skills and ability to articulate technical concepts to non-technical audiences.
- English as a working language
- You like the sound of the work we are doing
- You’re keen to learn more about new technologies and the inner workings of the international payments industry
- You’re comfortable working in a team that deals with ambiguity every day
- You’re interested in distributed systems and writing resilient software
Nice to haves
- Experience with Queue systems such as RabbitMQ.
- Experience with Docker
- Linux administration skills, ability to set up and maintain production and dev servers.