This Policy was last updated on 12 August 2019. Further changes or updates to this policy will be made available on the Updates page of our website.
About this policy
OrbitRemit registered offices are located at:
- Level 7, 44 Victoria Street, Wellington, New Zealand (Company Number 2174112)
- 146 New London Road, Chelmsford, Essex, CM2 0AW (Company Number 06731488)
- Level 12, 64 York St, Sydney, NSW, 2000, Australia (Company Number 69601986038)
The term “Service” refers to money transfers enabled from our website or mobile app.
In the language of data protection regulation, OrbitRemit is the “data controller” of your personal data and you, our customer, are the “data subject”. This means that OrbitRemit determines the purposes and means of processing your personal data, while respecting rights concerning your privacy.
OrbitRemit respects your rights to privacy and is bound by the 1993 Privacy Act of New Zealand, the 1988 Privacy Act of Australia and the 1998 Data Protection Act of the United Kingdom. For more information on the act, please visit:
OrbitRemit is fully committed to protecting our customers' privacy and security. Please review the following document to ensure you fully understand what information we collect about you and with whom we share it. You should read this document in its entirety. It should also be noted we may amend the content of this document at any time by posting a revised version on our website. More information regarding this can be found under section 17, “How to contact us”.
OrbitRemit provides the following information to explain what personal information we collect about you, with whom we share it, and how you can direct us not to share certain information with certain parties. "Personal Information" refers to the meaning given to it under the relevant acts in your region. You should read this document in its entirety.
OrbitRemit collects information by lawful and fair means only.
- Personal Information we collect
- Information that you provide us in the course of using the OrbitRemit service, such as your name, residential or business address, e-mail address, and telephone number.
- Details of the services which you require from OrbitRemit.
- We may also collect certain sensitive information from you including your bank account number, credit card number, date of birth, passport number and drivers licence number. Information about your usage of the OrbitRemit service, including your transaction history, and how and to whom you use the OrbitRemit service to send or receive money;
- In order to use OrbitRemit, we also request certain third party information. This includes the recipients full name, physical address, email address and phone number.
- We may also collect from you a recipient’s sensitive financial information including their bank account and routing number.
- When you visit our site or interact with our emails we may collect information about your online browsing behavior and devices you have used (including your IP address, browser type and mobile device identifiers)
How we collect personal information
OrbitRemit collects this information in various ways, including but not limited to;
- Conversations held over the phone by you and OrbitRemit staff members
- Through your use of the OrbitRemit website, including support messages
- When you submit a payment or complete a contract
- When you send information in emails or correspond with OrbitRemit
- Information that we lawfully obtain from third parties such as verification services and credit reporting agencies
- Information that we indirectly obtain from you, such as information about the hardware and software you use when accessing the OrbitRemit service, your IP address, the pages you access on this website, and other websites that you visit prior to accessing OrbitRemit.
- We may also use "cookies" to track your use of this website. A cookie is a small data file that we may place on your computer to identify you when you return to the website. You are free to decline our cookies if your browser permits, but doing so may interfere with your use of the Service. The information we store in the cookie is not Personal Information but a number that we generate and could not be used to lookup a user's Personal Information without the proprietary OrbitRemit system. Should you wish to opt-out of digital advertising or remarketing, please follow the applicable links: Bing, Google and Facebook.
Why we collect and use your personal information
- To provide services and products to you and undertake associated business processes and functions.
- To verify your identity and comply with legal obligations under the relevant anti-money laundering acts dependent on your jurisdiction. These include, but are not limited to:
- The AML/CFT Act 2009 in New Zealand
- The AML/CTF Act 2006 in Australia
- The 2017 Money Laundering Regulations in the United Kingdom
- To collect payment for your use of the website and the services provided.
- To troubleshoot problems with the website and the services provided.
- To detect and prevent fraud and other illegal use of the website and the services provided.
- To send you marketing notices, service updates, and promotional offers.
- For administration, planning and account management.
- To develop, monitor and improve services.
- Any other purpose disclosed to you at the time of information collection.
How we process your personal information
We use, process, and store your information as necessary to perform our contract with you and for our legitimate business interests, including:
- to comply with any applicable legal and/or regulatory requirements.
- to complete Know Your Customer (KYC) and Customer Due Diligence (CDD) checks. From time to time we use the services of Credit Reference Agencies (CRA's) to attempt to verify your identity. These are not credit performance checks and will not impact your credit rating. More information can be found here.
- to help us administer our site, software, and/or services, authenticate users for security purposes, provide personalised user features and access, process transactions, conduct research, develop new features, and improve the features, algorithms, and usability of our site, software, and/or services.
- To communicate with you:
- about your use of our site, software, services and product announcements.
- to request additional documentation required to meet our regulatory obligations.
- responding to your requests for assistance, including providing account verification support if you’re having difficulty accessing your account.
- to send you direct marketing emails and special offers, from which you can unsubscribe at any time. For more information, please see section 6, “Email Communications” below.
- to ask you for feedback or to take part in any research we are conducting (which we may engage a third party to assist with).
- to award you a prize if you have won a competition we're running.
- to display targeted advertising to you online – through our own websites and services or through third party websites and their platforms.
- when we send you emails, we may include a tracking image and web analytics code to allow us to determine the number of people who have interacted with our emails. When you click on a link in an email, we may record this individual response to allow us to customise our offerings to you. This tracking collects only limited information such as webpage viewed, time and date.
- to calculate aggregate statistics on the number of unique devices using our site, software, and/or services, and to detect and prevent fraud and misuse of those.
We only send promotional email to individuals who have given us explicit consent, or as part of an ongoing relationship with customers who have signed up to use our service.
You control what communications you receive, and you can unsubscribe from marketing at any time by contacting us at [email protected] or by using the unsubscribe link in every promotional email you receive.
Customers will still receive important information, alerts and notices relating to their account, and any communications required by law.
Use of children's personal information
You must be at least 16 years old to access or use the service and we do not knowingly collect or store any personal information about children under the age of 16.
Where we store your personal data
The data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the country you live in. These countries may have laws different to what you’re used to. Rest assured, where we disclose personal data to a third party in another country, we put safeguards in place to ensure your personal data remains protected.
How we share information with third parties
OrbitRemit will not sell or lease the information we collect to third parties for their promotional purposes unless we receive your permission to do so. Nevertheless, we may share personal information about you as follows:
- To entities or service providers under contract with OrbitRemit for the purposes of conducting our business and providing our services to you. This includes; transaction processing, fraud prevention and professional advisors such as solicitors, business advisors and consultants. Entities we partner with to offer additional products and services, but only when you elect to receive information about those additional products and services.
- We use service providers who assist us in meeting business operations needs, including hosting, delivering, and improving our Services. We also use service providers for specific services and functions, including email communication, customer support services, and analytics. These service providers may only access, process, or store Personal Data pursuant to our instructions and to perform their duties to us.
- In the event of the sale, acquisition or merger of some or all of our assets, your personal information might be a part of the transferred assets. We shall notify you in the event of such an occurrence by placing a notice on our website.
- Law enforcement and government officials, but only in connection with a formal request, subpoena, court order, or similar legal procedure, as well as circumstances where we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to comply with the law, report suspected illegal activity, or investigate violations of our User Agreement. This is in order to satisfy our obligations under the relevant AML/CFT Laws.
- As may be required under any other law.
The OrbitRemit website contains links to other websites. OrbitRemit maintains it is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of other web sites. Please ensure you familiarise yourself with the privacy practices of these other sites prior to submitting your personal information to them.
How long we store your personal information
We will retain your personal information for as long as your account is active, to provide you with services or as otherwise set forth in this policy.
Should you wish to close your account we will not keep that information for longer than is required for the purposes for which the information may lawfully be used, such as to comply with anti-money laundering regulations in our various jurisdictions.
How to modify your personal information and preferences
Options to access, modify or update your personal information saved to the OrbitRemit website can be found by logging into your account. In the instances where personal information cannot modified or amended by you, please contact us at [email protected].
OrbitRemit will take reasonable steps to ensure that all information we hold on your file is up to date, complete and accurate, this is in order to minimise the possibility that you are contactable and appropriate information is used to make a decision about you. However, please note that OrbitRemit is in no way responsible for information that is not updated on your account and as such advises all customers that they routinely check that the information provided on their account is correct.
Requesting your personal information
You are entitled to request all personal information held by OrbitRemit at any given time. To do so you need to contact OrbitRemit directly via support request or email. Where you are entitled to that information OrbitRemit will ensure it is provided in the manner you requested it. If it is not practical or probable to do so, OrbitRemit will provide the information in another suitable form such as via email or post.
There may be circumstances which mean that information cannot be released to you. For example these circumstances may include:
- The information may impact the privacy of another individual.
- The information is commercially sensitive evaluative information.
- The information is subject to solicitor-client or litigation privilege.
- OrbitRemit is prohibited by law from providing you with access.
- The disclosure could be expected to threaten the safety, physical or mental health or life of an individual.
If OrbitRemit decides that it cannot provide you with certain information it will outline the reasons for its decision in writing and the mechanisms available to complain about the refusal.
How we keep your information secure
OrbitRemit takes all reasonable steps to maintain the security of your personal information. We have a range of safeguards to protect this information. OrbitRemit uses the highest level of online security available to protect the information you submit to us through the OrbitRemit website. We have put in place SSL [Secure Socket Layer] encryption technology to protect your sensitive information transmitted from the OrbitRemit website. We also require a username and password from each user who wishes to access the information held in their OrbitRemit account and other areas on the OrbitRemit website. All forms of personal information are kept online on your account. However, in some instances where information is mailed to us, we upload the documents and then destroy them.
Availability and changes to this policy
Your information rights
It’s your personal data and you have certain rights relating to it:
- Right to access: the right to request copies of your personal information from us;
- Right to correct: the right to have your personal information rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete;
- Right to erase: the right to request that we delete or remove your personal information from our systems;
- Right to restrict our use of your information: the right to 'block' us from using your personal information or limit the way in which we can use it;
- Right to data portability: the right to request that we move, copy or transfer your personal information;
- Right to object: the right to object to our use of your personal information including where we use it for our legitimate interests, or where we use your personal information to carry out profiling to inform our market research and user demographics. If you raise an objection we will stop processing your personal information unless very exceptional circumstances apply, in which case we will let you know why we're continuing to process your personal information.
We will use reasonable efforts consistent with our legal duty to provide you with your rights in accordance with data protection legislation. See section 17 below for contact details.
How to contact us
OrbitRemit takes all complaints seriously and will investigate your complaint accordingly.
Alternatively, you can telephone New Zealand +64 4 831 8780, Australia +61 2 8188 3735, United Kingdom +44 20 3962 0613. It should be noted that a request to restrict or modify the use of your information may result in you no longer being able to use our services.
If you are not satisfied with the manner in which we have dealt with your complaint, or the outcome/resolution, then you may refer the matter to;
Financial Services Complaints in New Zealand;
The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner in Australia;
- Mail: OAIC - Director of Complaints, Office of the Australian Information Commissioner, GPO Box 5218, Sydney NSW 2001.
- Email: [email protected]
- Telephone: 1300 363 992
And the Information Commissioner’s Office in the UK;
- Mail: Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
- Email: [email protected]
- Telephone: 0303 123 1113